- Randy Asplund (ska Randulfr Asparlundr, OL, KSCA) An artist making a living on medieval scribal arts and modern fantasy creations. Lots of interesting information and ideas here.
- Kathryn Finter's Contemporary Manuscript Illumination website includes a learning center and displays of her work.
- Patricia Lovett is a professional scribe, author of several books on lettering, and chair of the Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society in England, where she lives.
Blogs By Businesses
- Natural Pigments Forums A group of forums each on an individual art topic.
- Natural Pigments Blog An excellent resource on artist materials and how to use them.
Blogs by Individuals
- Material Culture
- IDTG: Kimon Andreous's blog on heraldry, genealogy, history and other things. A wonderful resource for heraldry and its artists.
- The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques, by Ralph Meyer, Fifth Edition, revised and updated by Steven Sheehan. Viking, 1991.
- The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide To The Skills And Techniques, by David Harris, Dorling Kindersley, New York, 1995
- The Craftsman's Handbook "Il Libro dell' Arte" Cennino d'Andrea Cennini, Translated by Daniel V. Thompson, Jr. Dover Publications, New York, 1954.
- Illumination for Calligraphers: The complete guide for the ambitious calligrapher, by Marie Lynskey, Thorsons, London, 1990
- The Materials and Techniques of Medieval Painting, by Daniel V. Thompson. Dover Publications, New York, 1956.
- Medieval Calligraphy It's History and Technique, by Marc Drogin, Dover Publications, New York, 1989.
- Scribes and Illuminators (Medieval Craftsmen Series), by Christopher De Hamel. University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1992.
- Medieval Illuminators and Their Methods of Work, by Jonathan J.G. Alexander. Yale University Prese, New Haven and London, 1992.
- Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts, A Guide To Technical Terms, by Michelle P. Brown. The J. Paul Getty Museum in association with The British Library, 1994.
- Writing and Illuminating and Lettering, by Edward Johnston. Pitman, London and Taplinger, New York, 1980; originally London
- Ancient Earth Pigments A small on-line pigment business owned by a couple in the SCA.
- Guild of Limners
- John Neal Book Seller Sells supplies for calligraphers, lettering artists, illuminators, bookbinders, type and papercraft enthusiasts worldwide with books, tools, and materials.
- Kremer Pigments, Inc. US shop. Materials developed for art restoration.
- Natural Pigments A large on-line pigment and artist supplies' business.
- Talas Among other book making supplies, a source worth checking for vellum.
Left-handed Scribal Stuff
- Anna's Crafts Links Page A library of "How To..." links for historical reenactors.
- Artists Pigments -- An Index of Resources. An artist's link page on pigments and paint making.
- Kingdom of Atlantia's Arts and Sciences Links. 8812 links in 7 categories when I last checked.
- Larsdattar.com Links Page So much here. I hope you have plenty of time to explore.
- Scribal Resources A humongous site with scribal information.
- Trimaris' Lesson On-line list links.
Museum Collections Digitized
- Bodleian Library
- British Library - Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts
- Cambridge Digital Library
- Digitized Medieval Manuscripts App
- E-Codices, Virtual Manuscript Library of Switzerland
- The Fitzwilliam Museum
- Free Library of Philadelphia
- The Goodspeed Manuscript Collection
- The J. Paul Getty Museum
- McGill University - Islamic Rare Books Collection (Calligraphy Exhibition)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The National Library of Russia
- The National Library of Wales
- The New York Public Library - Digital Collections
- The Pierpont Morgan Library
- The Smithsonian's Museums of Asian Art
- Trinity College Dublin Digital Collection
- University of British Columbia, Medieval Manuscripts on the Web
- Vatican Library Digitization Project
- Draw Your Own Celtic Designs An excellent book by David James covering knotwork, spirals, keys, and animal forms.
- A Booke of Secrets a 1596 English translation of a book giving recipes for inks and paints.
- A Classical Technology Codex Lucensis, 490. An 8th century Latin source with a commentary in English that begins on page 77.
- The Goettingen Model Book
- Il Libro dell' Arte The Craftsman's Handbook by Cennino D' Cennini. A period source translated and published in 1933 by Daniel Thompson
- A Nevv Booke, containing all sorts of hands vsvally written at this day in Christendome a 1611 English book on lettering.
- The Natural History. Pliny the Elder.
- Notebook Texts The Notebook is an on-line resource for understanding visual art. This link is to its collection of noted free books like Cennini's.
- Glossary at the British Library is essentially Michelle P. Brown's Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts: A Guide To Technical Terms. The book is a must for any scribe. The online version is searchable if you have the term to look up first.
- Theophili, Encyclopedia of Christian Art of the 11th Century. In Latin with a translation.
- Merrifield's Original Treatises: Dating from the XIIth to XVIIIth Centuries [Volume 1] on the Arts of Painting, in Oil, Miniature, Mosaic, and on Glass; of Gilding, Dyeing, and the Preparation of Colours and Artificial Gems; Preceded by a General Introduction; with Translations, Prefaces, and Notes
- Merrifield's Original Treatises: Dating from the XIIth to XVIIIth Centuries [Volume 2] on the Arts of Painting, in Oil, Miniature, Mosaic, and on Glass; of Gilding, Dyeing, and the Preparation of Colours and Artificial Gems; Preceded by a General Introduction; with Translations, Prefaces, and Notes, Volume 2
- An Tir Scribes' Award Charter Guidebook pdf
- Ansteorran Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Artemisian Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Atenveldt Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Atlantian Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Avacal Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Caidian Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Calontir Kingdom Scribes Handbook
- Ealdormere Scribes' Handbook pdf
- East Kingdom Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Lochac Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Meridian Scribes' Handbook HTML
- Middle Kingdom Scribes' Handbook A very inclusive scribal handbook.
- Northshield Scribes' Handbook
- Outlands Scribes' Handbook HTML is very interactive. They also have it in pdf.
- Trimaris Scribes' Handbook pdf
- Gutenberg School of Scribes Excellent beginner scribe how-to lessons and maiolica work.
- IAMPETH Lessons The International Association of Master Penmen, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting has a huge and excellent selection of on-line calligraphy lessons.
- Making Artists Paint By Tony Johansen, Director, East Sydney Academy Of Art
- Pigments: Historical, Chemical, and Artistic Importance of Coloring Agents. Long title, but website provides concise pigment and dye explanations.
- The Painted Word A walk-through an artist's creation of a pair of illuminated manuscript pages, one in Latin and one in Greek, with interlinear texts and English glosses or colophons done in a period style.
- Cutting Quills with Ewan Clayton on Vimeo
- SCA Demo Videos Playlist compiled by Chuck Rainey on YouTube
- British Library Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts Advanced Search. This page allows you to search by names, dates, language, and more with one type of information or combinations.
- Sally Randall Brunger's personal website. History of known pigments and their chemical makeup. 77 AD to present.
- Scribes Trimaris website is an excellent learning and inspiration resource.
- Medieval Writing is an excellent, detailed introduction to the history and decoding of medieval handwriting forms.